What is an operator’s licence and do we need one?

An operator’s licence allows a person or an organisation to operate passenger carrying vehicles in return for any kind of 'Hire or Reward'.  You are likely to require an operator’s licence of some type because “hire or reward” will exist in the majority, if not all, transport operations.

Public Service Vehicle (PSV) Operator Licence

Private or commercial companies that operate transport will need to apply for a PSV operator’s licence.  Where only one or two minibuses are run a restricted operator’s licence may be sufficient.  These are issued by the Traffic Commissioner through their Central Office in Leeds, their contact number is 0300 123 9000.

If your organisation is a not-for-profit organisation you will be eligible to operate passenger transport using section 19, section 22 or section 10B permits and to charge for transport, but at a not-for-profit rate.


Members area
Lost password?


News & Hot Topics
Freedom of Information requests
Financial Standing Update

© CTA 2009 | Accessibility | Sitemap | Web design & development by Zen Web Solutions

Community Transport Association UK is a charitable company limited by guarantee. Registered in Cardiff no. 1985361 Registered office: Aeroworks, 5 Adair Street, Manchester M1 2NQ. Registered as a charity in England and Wales no. 1002222. Charity Registered in Scotland No. SC038518.

Investor in People