What is a section 22 permit and do we need one?

A community bus permit is issued for use in Great Britain and does allow organisations to provide transport for members of the general public by way of a local registered bus route.  The local registered bus route has to be registered with the Traffic Commissioners.  The operator can request the Traffic Commissioner to allow them to also operate 'other services', this will allow them to offer services, such as private hire, to enable them to subsidise their local registered service if it is operating at a loss.

Where can we obtain a section 22 permit?

Application forms for section 22 permits  can be obtained from the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency, you can contact them by telephone on 0300 123 9000.


Members area
Lost password?


News & Hot Topics
Freedom of Information requests
Financial Standing Update

© CTA 2009 | Accessibility | Sitemap | Web design & development by Zen Web Solutions

Community Transport Association UK is a charitable company limited by guarantee. Registered in Cardiff no. 1985361 Registered office: Aeroworks, 5 Adair Street, Manchester M1 2NQ. Registered as a charity in England and Wales no. 1002222. Charity Registered in Scotland No. SC038518.

Investor in People